Saturday 28 January 2012

Illustration Friday Week 4

Wow! My fourth week doing this. Awesome! This week the word is Forward.

Okay, so after a lot of browsing and geeking with fellow art enthusiasts, I came across an artist named Pete Hawley. His style is very expressive, with amazing gestures and a variety of different styles, from Pin Ups to Cartoons.
This ad for Cocacola really caught my eye, and not just because it's my favorite pop.
Okay maybe it helped. Regardless! She's rendered in a way with no harsh outlines; just soft blending of colours. In terms of Graphic Design, this could be left as a filled in silhouette and it would still look fantastic.

I went through a lot of brain storming, idea exploring and doodling before coming to a theme I was sure would be best for this week.
At first I was thinking maybe a story about 'moving forward', and while it was nice and thoughtful, I ended up thinking of a modern idea that really had me excited; send it forward! A story about email obsessed recluses!
Are you excited? I certainly am! On to the rough work!
In order to find the most effective layout, I experimented with a bunch of different poses in different places on the "cover".
I chose a layout I felt would best represent my theme, and began to paint in Photoshop. The boy is being painted in cool tones, to give him a mysterious feel even though he's the one we are seeing most of.  The girl is being painted with warm colours, and less detail. I want her to be alluring despite seeing less of her expression than the boy.
with everything coloured, I started working out the kinks of the entire composition and created a title in Illustrator to place inside the file. I also went in and added a high light or two into the laptop and faces of the two characters in the color of their counterpart's color scheme.
Voila! My fourth Illustration Friday is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment