Tuesday 14 February 2012

Illustration Friday - Week 6 - Popularity

Oh boy~ This subject is pretty fun. I'm still in th process of creating a solid concept, but where better to start than checking out the old masters? One of my favorite illustrators, Rowland B Wilson, was my first stop for inspiration. Wilson24 He has a great way of having the figures and text work on the same page; as if they were made for each other. Not to mention his cartoony style is up my alley! So I'm aiming to ultimately have my title and text on the book cover work with the images instead of having them simply slapped on there at the end of the road. SuccessfulThumbnails I had a few pages of failed attempts at ideas for this piece before this miracle page of wonder came about. I liked just about everything about these sketches, so I ended up using elements from two thumbnails into one composition. I decided that this would be an illustration for a young teen novel, since "Popularity" is mostly of the concern and issue of children and teens. Or at least it's one of many big concerns for that age group. I wanted to capture the dark side of the word in my work, and create something rather moody. screenshots_blog6 I knew from the beginning I wanted a simple colour scheme, and dark tones to convey the mood of the book. At first I wanted a sans serif font for the title, but found it didn't quite breathe the right life into the artwork. A simple script really helped portray the girlish nature of the art style, and also the complicated emotions that come with "popularity". Popularity_revise

No comments:

Post a Comment