Wednesday 7 March 2012

Illustration Friday 8 - Intention

For this one, I went a bit literal. When I heard the new word of the week, at first I was at a loss, but then the lyrics from one of my favorite songs came to mind, and had the word intention in it. So I cheated a bit with this, but I had fun too. That's all that matters.

For inspiration this time around, I looked at the pen and ink work of Lynd Ward.

Ward01

This one caught my eye, because while there is so much going on, the dominant feature in the artwork stands out the most and grabs my attention. I also like his placement of type.

Onward, to Photoshop!

Intentionsthumbs

I did my thumbnails in Photoshop this time around. It's easier than needing to take photos or scan my sketchbook. I had a few strong concepts, but the one I chose to finish I felt had the best potential for the type.

intentionsprocess

As you can see, I went for a painterly effect, something I've been meaning to practice a lot more with.

Intentions

And Voila! You might notice I've geared away from Book Covers, mostly because I wanted to branch out a bit for the next few IFs to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment